Mike
Saturday, May 21, 2011
Mexico to Seattle - Day Six
It is 1800 and we are located at 25 deg 16.7 min North, 112 deg 35.4 min West. My how things change in a day. Last night the wind died and we turned on the motor. It has not stopped since - the wind is light and the seas pretty good. We have the main and staysail up and heading about 20 degrees off the wind. At the moment we are making 6.5 knots. Most of the day it has about 5.4 knots. The winds are predicted to have increased which will allow us to turn off the motor. We will see. The good news is that all the other boats have been accounted. "Tapatai" and "Sun Baby" are very close behind. "Brisas" and "Blue Sky" got around Cabo Falso this morning. Another boat "Darling" is five miles from us. "Psyche" has fuel issues and is considering returning to Cabo San Lucas. That is a very tough call; we wish them well. On board, Ralph developed an abscessed tooth. First chance to really use the medical kit. Got him on Ibuprophine for the discomfort and have begun a series of Cephalexin for the infection. He is doing great. My best guess is that we will arrive at Turtle Bay around midnight Monday night/Tuesday morning. That is all for today.
Mike
Mike
Friday, May 20, 2011
Mexico to Seattle - Day Five
It is 1830 and our coordinates are 24 deg 08.9 min North and 111 deg 40.5 min West. Last night we tried to motor with poor results. Today, we continued sailing with good results, but it is a tough ride with the world ("Odessa") on a constant slope. Tonight we are dropping the yankee and sailing with reefed main and staysail. We have decided that sailing is far better than bashing to weather. One of the advantages of sailing is that it almost eliminates the fuel issue. Another is the ride is much steadier with a reasonable motion. So, we will not be stopping until we reach Turtle Bay. The big news is that last night I reported that "Psyche" was out performing us. I was wrong. This morning we visited on the VHF and their position put them about ten miles behind us. The rest of the fleet has not been heard from. We assume that they decided to wait a little longer. Will close for now.
Mike
Mike
Thursday, May 19, 2011
Mexico to Seattle - Day Four
Morning started at 0100 exiting the marina at San Jose del Cabo. At 0600 we began to approach and experience Cabo Falso. The winds and seas were on the nose. We adjusted our engine but soon were at 3000 rpms and making about 2 knots. Winds were 30 knots. I am sure that there were some currents in the mix. For four hours we worked our way around the corner. We were advised that staying close to the land in about 100 feet of depth was preferable. So close to land in those conditions was questionable, but it worked. "Psyche" was behind us and flew a reefed main and staysail along with motor through the whole rounding and was doing much better than us. When conditions improved, we put up a similar sail configuration. Later, we added the Yankee, turned off the engine and got the wind vane going. For the rest of the afternoon we enjoyed an excellent sail. Given the course, weather conditions, etc, we have just turned the engine on, lowered the head sails and are heading toward Bahia Santa Rosa. Presently, it is 2200 and our position is 23 deg 36.0 min North and 110 deg. 29.6 min West. We are running at 2500 rpms and making 3.7 knots. At issue is our fuel burn which we continue to monitor. It is desirable to make it to Turtle Bay with our existing fuel supply. If necessary we will stop at Magdelina Bay but that stop will cost us valuable time and money. All in all, it has been an exciting day. I think I need some sleep, so will close for now.
Mike
Mike
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Mexico to Seattle - Day Three
Clean boat, clean crew and rested. We will be leaving tomorrow morning at 0200 with a projected rounding of Cabo Falso at 0600/0700. "Psyche" with Steve aboard will join us; it will be leaving Cabo San Lucas. Later tomorrow and early Friday, "Brisas", "Blue Sky", "Tapatai" an "Sun Baby" will follow. We have created a mini-net meeting twice daily at 1530 UTC and 2230 UTC on frequencies 4417.00 LSB and 6227.00 LSB. So, if you have a HAM/SSB radio, please feel free to listen in. The conditions are good for this time of year, but will be challenging. We are hoping that the seas being from the SW and the wind from the NW will be better than wind and seas coming from the NW. I will report on that tomorrow. Until then- Mike
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Mexico to Seattle - Day Three
We made it to San Jose del Cabo at 0930 and checked in at Marina at Puerto Los Cabos, Lat 23 deg 03.7 min North, Long 109 deg 40.4 min West. Following my report yesterday evening when the seas were very calm, we had another evening of unpleasant conditions. The wind picked up to 15 knots from the Northwest and the sea state increased. The result was that for about five hours we struggled to keep a 5 knot pace. Things calmed down about 0300 and the rest of the journey was uneventful. In the marina there are three other boats waiting for proper weather conditions to go around Cabo San Lucas and head north. In addition, "Psyche" with Steve aboard contacted me from San Lucas to tell me that he too would be making the journey. At this time, it still looks like Thursday is the magic day.
Marina at Puerto Los Cabos is a very interesting place. They had only a single slip available when we arrived. I was anxious to share the art and story of Leonora Carrington. She is a Surealist still living in Mexico. Even those that don't particularly enjoy her art seem to find it thought provoking. Her two sons are involved in some financial way with the marina/resort development. They have used the marina as a venue to recognize their mother. You may find more information about Leonora through Google. Tomorrow, we are going to explore some the features of this development that I missed the first time through in December.
Today was kind of a work day. We changed the oil and the primary fuel filter. Ralph (who has entirely too much energy) washed the outside of the boat. Kirk worked on the inside with other cleaning projects. At least tomorrow we can feel good about our clean boat and clean crew. By Thursday evening, I expect that it will become only a memory.
Will close for now.
Mike
Marina at Puerto Los Cabos is a very interesting place. They had only a single slip available when we arrived. I was anxious to share the art and story of Leonora Carrington. She is a Surealist still living in Mexico. Even those that don't particularly enjoy her art seem to find it thought provoking. Her two sons are involved in some financial way with the marina/resort development. They have used the marina as a venue to recognize their mother. You may find more information about Leonora through Google. Tomorrow, we are going to explore some the features of this development that I missed the first time through in December.
Today was kind of a work day. We changed the oil and the primary fuel filter. Ralph (who has entirely too much energy) washed the outside of the boat. Kirk worked on the inside with other cleaning projects. At least tomorrow we can feel good about our clean boat and clean crew. By Thursday evening, I expect that it will become only a memory.
Will close for now.
Mike
Monday, May 16, 2011
La Cruz, Mexico to Seattle - Day Two
Today has been beautiful. The sea state that developed last night continued to slow our progress until about 0300 this morning. Since then, we have made excellent time. At the moment, we are making 6.7 knots and expect to complete the crossing in a total of 48 hours. During the first 24 hours we traveled about 135 miles leaving 145 miles to be covered in the final 24 hours. This mornings HAM net weather predicts a favorable change for the outside of the Baja on Thursday. We will continue to monitor the situation closely. We did check the oil after 27 hours of motoring, and there was no appreciable change in level. We have been running at 3000 rpms which is 200 rpms faster than I normally run but well short of the 3600 red line rpms. The difference in speed is significant, almost 3/4 of a knot, and it help get us through the increased sea state. I will be interested in the fuel consumption results when we get to San Jose del Cabo. This morning Ralph prepared scrambled eggs with olives, black beans, onion and jalipenios (sp?)on flour tortillas. Last night Kirk prepared a pasta dish made with real wheat flour which was a treat both of us. In the afternoons, Ralph has been preparing sliced fruit. Bottom line is that we have been eating well, even though it has been pretty bouncy until now. Tonight, when it should be easy to work in the galley, no one seems interested. We have been visited by dolphins on both days. Today, Kirk was able to get some video. Will call tomorrow from San Jose del Cabo. On the agenda is the location of the pot hold downs for the stove. Will close until then.
Mike
Mike
Sunday, May 15, 2011
La Cruz, Mexico to Seattle - Day One
| Mike, Kirk and Ralph at the marina in La Cruz, day of departure |
Departed at 1000 hours from La Cruz, Mexico which was one hour later than expected. After an immediate adjustment for Mountain Time Zone, it was decided that we departed on time at 0900. Our position at 1830 is 21 deg 02.8 min North and 106 deg 17.1 min West. The weather is clear with winds from the West at 9 knots and a westerly swell. At the moment we are making 4.9 knots, speed over ground. Most of the day, we have been able to do better. We are on schedule to arrive at San Jose del Cabo on Tuesday morning for refueling and a study of the weather before continuing on around the cape. At this time, we are expecting a weather delay. Ralph Hemphill guided us past Punta Mita during the morning. He is new to Odessa, but is learning the systems. At the moment, Ralph is driving the boat while Kirk Hackler is preparing a dinner. It was a little lumpy this morning and has continued so. I have taken some mecilizine for the motion and feeling the better for it. Must close for dinner. Will report tomorrow.
Mike
-----
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)